The Société Jersiaise has published a wide range of material which falls into several categories.
The Annual Bulletin, the main record of our activities, has been published since 1875. It has from the start included learned articles on a wide range of subjects with relevance to Jersey. It has also contained transcriptions of historical documents from our archives and elsewhere. It is the most important starting point for any research on Jersey history, natural history, archaeology and geology.
The Annual Bulletin has now been digitised in its entirety and the volumes for 1873-2015 are available, fully searchable, under Digital Publications.
Publication of historical documents
We have published much historical source material in our role as Jersey’s only Record Society. The publication of the 1331 Extente de L’Ile in 1876 was the start of a long series of special publications including other Extentes, the Actes des États 1524-1800 and six volumes of the Island’s ancient charters. An English translation of the Charters, as well as another of the Island's most important historical documents, The Journal of Jean Chevalier are in the course of preparation.
The Société is deeply committed to spreading knowledge of the Island and has published a large number of books and pamphlets regardless of commercial considerations, from learned works to guide books. A fair number are still available via our online shop.
Recent publications include:
- 2015 - Une Histoire abrégée de Jersey, a translation by Valérie Noël of Professor Colin Platt's Concise History of Jersey. (2009)
- 2015 - Jersey's Population : a History, by Mark Boleat. An in-depth study of this important topic.
- 2015 - The Lichens of Jersey by Simon Davey with Amanda Davey. A comprehensive, up-to-date and well-illustrated study of this part of the Island's flora, by experts in the field.
- 2015 - French Immigration to Jersey 1850 -1950, a translation for the Société Jersiaise of the 2005 study L'Emigration française vers Jersey 1850-1950, by Michel Monteil.
- 2017 - Les Chroniques de Jersey : an English translation by Bronwyn Matthews