Important Notice About the Library Service
The Library will be closed from Monday, 17th May to Friday, 4th June for essential re-organisation. From Monday, 7th June the Library will be open to MEMBERS ONLY from 10 am to 2 pm (closed afternoons) as a temporary measure until the appointment of a Librarian.
Non Members wishing to access the Library may do so, subject to availability, by requesting an appointment in writing. Access to closed shelf items will be strictly by prior arrangement in writing until further notice. Readers will be requested to present their Société Membership cards on signing into the Library.
A guide to using the Société Jersiaise Library:
Services for Users
- The Library is open to the general public for reference only. Use is not restricted to members of the Société Jersiaise, but members only are entitled to borrow up to two books for three weeks, if more than one copy of the title is held.
- Enquiries can be made by letter, telephone, fax or e-mail. International reply paid postal coupons are appreciated; UK and foreign postage stamps are not valid in Jersey.
- Library staff and volunteer helpers are available to give assistance. Specialist advice on genealogical research is obtainable at certain times; please confirm by letter, telephone, fax or e-mail.
- A photocopying service is available; the provisions of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988) are observed. Archives and newspapers cannot usually be photocopied. All photocopying is carried out at the librarians' discretion.
- A microfilm reader printer and a microfiche reader are available; please note that the Library does not take bookings. The use of laptop computers is allowed.
Rules for Users
- Readers are asked to sign the visitors' book on each daily visit.
- Leave bags, briefcases and coats at the Library entrance.
- Switch off mobile phones.
- Use pencils only for writing notes.
- Borrowed books must not be taken out of Jersey; loss and damage will be invoiced.
- The building is a no smoking area.
Charges for Users
- Genealogical research: £15 per hour plus any extra charges incurred in the purchase of copies of certificates.
- Photocopying prices (2000): 20 pence (A4) and 40 pence (A3). Members: 10 pence (A4) and 20 pence (A3). Postage is extra.
How to make payment to the Société Jersiaise
- Cash sterling; UK bank cheques; credit cards (Mastercard & Visa)
- Eurocheques and travellers cheques in pounds sterling
- sterling bank drafts drawn on a UK bank or UK branch of a foreign bank
- personal cheques in foreign currency, foreign bank notes cannot be accepted