Part of the Field Archaeologist's work includes carrying out commercial archaeology. This is intended to provide additional income with which to purchase specialist items of equipment or to pay for summer internships. It also provides Archaeology Section members and Archaeology students with experience of working in the field of commercial archaeology, should they wish to do so. A selection of projects carried out to date, or ongoing, is listed below, some with links to reports.
18th Century Cottage at La Collette, St Helier Parish
A detailed archaeological survey and excavation of this 18th century vernacular building was carried out during its renovation as a holiday cottage for the Parish of St Helier. The report on this which was produced for the States of Jersey Department of the Environment (Planning) is here [link to PDF].
It is likely that a report on this project will appear in the form of a Monograph, published by the Société.
3-5 Conway Street, St Helier
The remains of two 19th century commercial and residential premises in the heart of St Helier were the subject of this Desk Based Assessment carried out by Mr Waterhouse for the Parish of St Helier. They were constructed on ground reclaimed from the sea between 1793 and 1830, part of which had previously been the site of a fulling mill, built in 1579. The work for this report included a mapped development (shown here) suggesting the likely sequence of land reclamation in the town, developed from historic maps and plans held by the Coutanche Library of the Société Jersiaise [link to PDF of report].
Medieval Chapel at La Hougue Bie, Grouville Parish
This detailed archaeological survey of the chapel during its renovation commenced in 2013 and will continue until 2016. Work so far has included the removal of all the 20th century cement pointing on the exterior and detailed recording of the different periods of construction and mortar types used. The archaeological work has already shown that in common with Jersey's parish churches, the chapel was first built with pilaster buttresses and a wooden roof, being replaced with a solid stone vault between about 1204 and 1349.
Internal removal of modern paint and whitewash in the western chapel has shown that there are remains of a scheme of later medieval paintings, complimenting those already known from the eastern chapel. It is now thought that these were painted in the early 16th century when the Jerusalem Chapel with its replica tomb of Christ was added. These paintings are in the process of being exposed and conserved by UK specialist plaster and paint conservators Ann and Oliver Ballantyne.
Archaeological recording of the surviving plaster in both chapels is continuing in tandem with this work and a monograph is expected to be published by the Société, detailing the results of both aspects of the restoration work.